Should I Get an Incandescent, Fluorescent, HID or LED to Grow Plants?

Incandescent Lights

90% of the energy used by incandescent lights is converted into heat, with the remaining 10% producing ‘white’ light wavelengths that are seen as ‘warm.’ They’re adequate for growing low-light indoor plants like ferns or vines, but they’re not the best choice for plants that need more light.

Fluorescent Lights

Plants that require low to medium light levels do well with fluorescent lights. Additionally, they work well for beginning veggies indoors before planting them outdoors. When compared to incandescent lights, fluorescent bulbs utilize 75% less energy.

HID Lights

Even though they are less efficient than LED lights, HID grow lights are still an option for many indoor cannabis farmers because they are significantly more economical. HID lights come in two varieties: metal halide (MH) and high-pressure sodium (HPS). It is advised that you use both HPS and MH bulbs for the greatest results. HPS can increase the yields during the flowering period while MH maintains healthy plant growth throughout the vegetative growth cycle.

LED Grow Lights

LED grow lights consume up to 75% less energy than other lighting systems. That’s why they emit little heat. Despite costing a little more initially than conventional grow lights, LED bulbs end up being less expensive in the long term due to their efficiency and long lifespan. Additionally, they offer a variety of light spectra to better fit the needs of plants in various growth stages.

Given all of these considerations, LED grow lights are the best option over incandescent, fluorescent or HID grow lights.


What Others Are Asking

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top