For wireless terminal applications like smart city construction, they need a kind of technology that can ensure long-distance and high-capacity connections. Thus, LoRa, as a member of the LPWAN, becomes a great choice for data transmission. If you want to know how the LoRa smart street light system works, this passage is what you need!
System components of the LoRa smart street light system
Hardware design: LoRa chips, sensors, controllers, and other components make up the node hardware. Also, there are dependable power supplies, lightning protection, and other node protection measures to guarantee the stability and dependability of the system.
Software design: The driver program and the data processing program make up the node software. The driver program collects and transmits the data received from the sensor. The data processing program is mostly in charge of data processing and packing.
Communication network: The communication network mainly includes three parts: LoRa chip, LoRa gateway, and cloud server. The LoRa chip is responsible for the transmission of node information and the connection with the LoRa gateway. The LoRa gateway is in charge of sending the information collected from the LoRa node to the cloud server. Cloud servers store and process the data.
Through applications on mobile devices, users can conveniently control the switch and brightness of street lights. Meanwhile, they can get to know the status and faults of street lights in real time.
Working process of the system
The LoRa street light controller functions as a terminal node. It is used to drive and control the street light while gathering parameter data inside the street light driver module. It is coupled to the smart street light LED driver.
The smart street light system’s control and data gathering node is the LoRa street light controller. In addition to housing data gathering modules for temperature, humidity, and brightness, it serves as a problem indicator for systems.
Installed in the road distribution cabinet, the LoRa street light gateway acts as a convergence node for the forwarding of street light data.
The user-side street light management software system is housed on the server and is known as the smart street light management and control platform. In addition to collecting and storing the data related to smart street lights, it may actually be used to view and control them.
Through the smartphone program, users may watch and control the street lights at any time.
Benefits of the system
- The communication range of the LoRa network is considerable and can surpass the range of each street light.
- In addition to realizing combination, dimming, and scientific lighting modes, the network facilitates group communication. Non-full power and alternate illumination modes help effectively prolong the lifespan of street lights.
- Dependent communication and accurate switching reduce resource waste and achieve emission reduction.
- Stable communication makes remote control, remote signaling, telemetry, and remote adjustment operations possible.
- The system manages to gather real-time data (such as power factor, voltage, current, and electricity) remotely.
- Its fault alarm feature eliminates the need for on-site patrols and inspections. Therefore, the management expenses are decreased, and the effectiveness is increased.