LED street lights have outperformed HPS street lights in terms of brightness, efficiency, influence on the environment, lifespan, etc. Among these advantages, lifespan can be one of the most important, as the longer the street lights can last, the more we can save on costs. So what is the exact lifespan of the LED street lights? How to judge if the LED street lights are long-lasting enough? Don’t miss the following article, where we introduce everything about the lifespan of the LED street lights!
Lifespan of the LED street lights
LED street lights consist of the light poles and the lamp heads. As for the light poles, they usually apply the hot dip galvanizing process. As long as the manufacturers produce the poles according to the related standards, the poles can have a lifespan of 15 years and won’t rust.
What is more important when talking about the lifespan of the street lights is the light head. The light head includes lamp beads, aluminum substrates, lenses, power supplies, lamp housings, and other components. They all affect the lifespan of the light. If everything works well, the LED street lights can last 5 to 10 years. But in real life, since there are hundreds of electronic parts and if one breaks down, others can be influenced, the actual service life may be shorter. Besides, we also have to consider other factors such as the environment and the heat dissipation system, so the lifespan may vary between different LED street lights. But to say LED has a short lifespan is an obvious myth.
Factors that affect the lifespan
LED lights are semiconductor devices, so the working temperatures will influence the lifespan directly. Usually, the temperatures should be controlled between -40 °C and 50 °C. Theoretically, every 10 °C rise in temperature will lead to a decrease in lifespan of half the origin. And there are other negative effects of high temperatures:
- As the temperature rises, the luminous efficiency of the LED chip will decrease.
- The color temperature of white light will increase and that of other colors will decrease, resulting in a visual deviation.
- The epoxy resin material of the LED package will turn yellow, making the transparency deteriorate.
- The package is also likely to generate cracks through which water vapor will easily penetrate into electronic components.
Therefore, to solve the problem of poor heat dissipation plays an important role in improving the performance of the LED street lights.
The electronic components and the PCB boards are very sensitive to humidity. If they work in an environment with high humidity, these components are likely to rust. This will affect the reliability and service life of the light.
On the market, there are different kinds of LED drivers, and their quality also varies. If manufacturers use cheap materials or skip certain production processes, the quality cannot be guaranteed. There are several points to consider when choosing LED drivers:
- IC: High-quality IC are produced by reliable manufacturers who apply constructive design solutions and finish the encapsulation themselves. In this way, they can ensure the consistency and stability of the IC.
- Transformer: The transformer determines the power and the ability to stand high temperatures. Good cores and wire packs are essential parts of the transformer.
- Circuit design and soldering process: The circuit design should be clear and neat. As for the soldering process, the wave soldering process is one recommendation.
Choosing the correct driver can not only ensure the working time of LED street lights, but also meet the requirement of the wattage of them.
Where the LED street lights are located can also influence their lifespan. For example, it is possible that cars will hit those lights set at crossroads or roads with heavy traffic. So they have a shorter service life than the street lights at other places.
What makes LED street lights last longer?
- Material: The components such as LED chips, heat dissipating materials, and PCB boards should have high quality.
- Process: While producing, the manufacturer should strictly comply with the requirements of the light design and shouldn’t skip any process.
- Storage and transportation: In the process of storage and transportation, the manufacturers should avoid unfavorable conditions such as mechanical vibration, humidity, and high temperatures.
- Installation and maintenance: The workers should follow the usage rules in case the service life is shortened due to improper operation.
How to prolong the lifespan of LED street lights?
The distribution of the poles needs to be reasonable. In addition, we should reduce the number of poles and combine the light with the buildings if possible. This can solve the problem of rusting to some extent. The material of the poles should have the ability to resist corrosion, harsh weather, and fire. Besides, the light needs regular maintenance to replace the broken parts in time.
Heat dissipation design
At the key position for heat dissipation, manufacturers should apply the heat conduction plate. Its thermal conductivity can be 8–12 times higher than that of common copper plates, so it will improve heat dissipation performance.
The shell of the lamp should be in the shape of a radiator. At present, most of the road lamp shells are made of aluminum. Directly using the outside of the lamp shell as a radiator can not only ensure the requirements of the IP protection level but also obtain a large heat dissipation area. Moreover, the dust can be washed away by natural wind and rain, so as to ensure the continuous effectiveness of the radiator.
Secondary light distribution optical design
The optical design should make use of LED’s feature of directional light emission, making every LED shine the light directly to the road, and then realize reasonable light distribution with the help of the light reflector.
The lifespan of LED lights is relatively long compared with that of traditional light sources. But to get LED street lights that can last for a long time, we also need to consider factors like the quality of other components, the pole, the heat dissipation ability, and so on. Choosing a reliable LED light manufacturer can help you find LED lights with guaranteed quality. Mokolight has been working on producing LED lights with a long lifespan for over 17 years. Our LED street lights have authoritative certifications like UL, BSCI, etc. Moreover, we can also offer a competitive price on the basis of ensuring the quality of our products. Talk to us and get an instant and free consultation about LED street lights with a long service life!