- Structure: A COB (chip-on-board) light source integrates multiple LED chips directly onto the same substrate. A SMD (surface mount device) light source is an LED chip packaged in a surface mount device and connected to the circuit board through welding.
- Number of LEDs: In the SMD LED chip, there can be no more than 3 LEDs. These 3 LEDs can be red, green, and blue lights, so as to produce light of different colors. A COB LED chip can have more than 9 LEDs, but they cannot create light of different colors.
- Size: The COB LED chip is bigger than the SMD one. So COB LEDs can provide high-intensity light.
- Illumination uniformity: The light of COB LED is more uniform than that of SMD LED.
- Heat dissipation: COB LED has a high requirement for heat dissipation because there are many LEDs on the chip.
More reading: What is LED Package